Thursday, September 24, 2009

Vegetables of my labour

My garden has been doing very well. It actually perked up once all that infernal rain stopped. Even though the amount of sunlight it received was negligible I still managed to grow the tallest green pepper plants I have ever seen (easily 3.5 feet tall) and harvested an unmanageable number of cucumbers.

With all the cucumbers on my counter I decided I would make a Greek Salad. But I didn't have any ripe tomatoes. The ones I had picked were still green. So I waited and waited. And finally two nights ago my tomatoes were ready. Last week I had picked 3 small-medium green peppers and a few small red onions (about golf balls sized).

I got down to business, chopping all these veggies. It took me about 40 mins to assemble the whole thing. I tripled the recipe because I wanted to use 3 cucumbers dam it! Not just one! Along with one 9pm trip to the garden with the flash light to pull another red onion my salad grew and grew. I had to change bowls twice because I kept underestimating how big the finished salad would be. The end product is just to die for. I LOVE Greek salad. I took the recipe out of my Eat Shink and Be Merry cookbook. The part that makes me want to gush every time I eat it, is that every single veggy in this salad was grown by me. There were times this summer that I wondered if this garden was worth it. It costs more to grow veggies than it does to buy them at the grocery store. The work, the time, the fertilizer, the WAITING. But now that harvest time is here I am in heaven. To make such a wonderful salad without leaving my home (I did have to go out and buy the feta and olives...). To know where my food came from. What was put on it to help it grow. This is my idea of heaven.

Next year the garden will be bigger. :)

7 comments:

  1. This sounds so amazing. Gal Smiley wanted a garden this summer but it seemed so intimidating. Reading about yours, though, is making me salivate...I think I will give it a try next year.

    I'll have to bookmark this post and re-read it in May so I feel inspired again :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, uhmm, how are you going to eat all that salad before it wilts??? Sounds like enough for 20 people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum!! love salad, and how rewarding that it all came from your garden! Sounds wonderful. We are hoping to put veggies in next year. That is my plan...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous! Our cukes never grew and our lonely pepper (jalapeno!) died an untimely death when he had an unpleasant encounter with a soccer ball. Sigh. But we got tonnes of delish tomatoes, cherry and beefsteak. It was my first success and I'm definitely expanding the repetiore next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Commenting is not too arduous on your blog, just have to retype my name and URL each time. You are worth the extra keystrokes I will suffer! :) (Am kind of ticked that I have to retype again, even tho I just commented 15 secs ago!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo that sounds so wonderful!!! I tried to plant tomatoes this year and they flopped. Next year I will grow food!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! My garden got eaten a lot by the rabbits but, my herbs did well and I did get a few tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete

Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.