Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My thing

Everyone has their thing. I know I have mentioned before that I love to cook. I really do. It hurts my heart to buy things pre packaged. When I do, I don't enjoy the meals we eat. I know to some it sounds silly but it's just how I feel. But I also don't have time to prepare fancy meals and I find meal planning hard. I have a hard time deciding what to make and often chose the ~wrong~ thing. Things that take too long, or that don't turn out as well as I would like. I have learned that no matter how wonderful Pinterest is, you cannot always rely on the recipes posted on there. They just don't always turn out.

When I was on maternity leave with D2 I signed up for a meal planning service. At the time I used the free version. It provides you with a menu for the week plus a grocery list and plan for prepping. It outlines what you can do ahead of time and what to do during the week.

I really enjoyed it but when I returned to work the weekend prep work suffered. I didn't want to spend a few hours prep cooking on the weekend. I wanted to spend every waking minute I could with my little one (and when he napped I wanted to nap).

Two weeks ago I decided to try it again but this time I paid for the service. With paying I get grocery lists I can edit, lists sent to my iphone that I can use (and cross off) while I shop. And the ability to edit the menu to our tastes. My family and I are really loving the meals. It is work getting things started on the weekend, but it pays off in spades when I only have a small amount of cooking to do each weeknight and I am still getting healthy home made food on my kids plates. PLUS they love it. Twice since I started using the service they have commented on how much they have enjoyed the meals.

Happiness for me is a happy, well fed family. And these days I am happy. 

Edited to add:
~ I guess I could tell you about the service. It is SOS Cuisine. I love it for many reasons but one really good one is that it is Canadian, fully totally Canadian (from Montreal I think). Oh and I forgot to mention that they work out their grocery lists with the store sales, you pick the stores you shop at and they tell you where the cheapest of everything is (based on your profile).

They didn't pay me for this post, they didn't give me anything. They don't know who I am, or that I have a blog. I am getting nothing for naming them here.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds very intriguing... do you mind sharing the name of the service? I've been putting meal planning to the very bottom of my list lately and need to make it more of a priority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a menu planner too! I don't get a lot of time and haven't figured out the prep in advance stuff, so this sounds perfect....and it'll do the flyer surfing for me too! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to meal plan too but it has suffered since I went back to work in August.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I wonder if this would work in my neck of the woods.

    Although my kids eat nothing but sugar and white flour. So, it might just tell me to go pick up a box of twinkies, per my profile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually didn't know anything like this existed (the downside of not having an iPhone and, therefore, missing out on app culture). It sounds like a huge boon to your entire family's daily life!

    ReplyDelete

Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.